Monday, January 12, 2009

Our first Montessori-style activity

I sat down E Belle this afternoon and showed her an activity I saw demonstrated at a local Montessori preschool last week. We think that E Belle has great potential to succeed at a Montessori school whereas Little Man's personality was not going to be a good fit.

I put down a dishcloth as her mat, and I put some beans in a pottery bowl. I showed E Belle totally by sight how to spoon the beans out of the bowl and into the cup. Her first instinct was to try and eat the beans, but she quickly found out that they didn't taste too good!




I couldn't believe how long she stayed interested in the beans! She was occupied for a good 15 minutes before I started hearing little dings from her throwing the beans across the room. She helped me clean up a bit, but she was more interested in one of Little Man's Simpsons Burger King toys that talks than picking up beans.



I so hope she gets into the Montessori preschool! We will know for sure by the end of February if she's in or wait listed. Our second choice is great, but it's not Montessori!

No comments: