Monday, December 7, 2009

Grocery Game - Second Attempt

Before the cashier hit the total key at Harris Teeter today, the screen read $183.30.

After she hit the total key and ran the coupons through, the screen read $98.38.

The Grocery Game is definitely helping me shop the sales at HT, but I was hoping to see more coupon usage as well. My coupon savings only totaled $8.15 today, which is kind of low for me.

But one of the couponing elements that I have a hard time with is when to use a coupon and when not to buy the item at all. Today, I'd guess that 90% of my coupons went with an item that was on sale, making the item free, nearly free or cheap. I've gotten burned in the past by using a coupon on an item not on sale, only to find it on sale the next week. So, my new guideline is only buy items with a coupon when they're not on sale if I absolutely need it for that week. Not just because I can.

The best sale today was the buy 1, get 2 free on chicken breasts. I saved more than $30 just on chicken alone today because I bought six packs. I'm up to my eyeballs on chicken, but it's a rich deal when you pay $16-ish for nearly 10 pounds of chicken breasts.

Of course, right in the middle of my free trial, I find out that I have won a subscription to a competing website called the Savings Angel! I'm very happy to have won, and I look forward to checking out the new site and being able to compare it to GG. We'll see!

No comments: