Saturday, January 30, 2010



It's snowing here. Yes, a good Southern snow. And I've been hearing my transplanted Yank friends complain all day about how Southerners have their little panic attacks about snow, make fun of us, etc. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever. I love the few times a year that we are blessed with a white blanket of disruption. I don't care that I don't know how to drive in the snow. I just don't go out! I like that we aren't socked in all winter. I like that snow isn't that common around here. I'm definitely made to live in the South, just not too much further South than here! It's too humid much further south, but that's a different story...

It seems like we either get winters with no snow, or we get a ration of good stuff. This appears to be a year of the good stuff. Being snowed in makes me 1) want to work on crafts; and 2) hungry. I have been hungry all day! I made a disappointing batch of peanut butter balls this morning. Well, disappointing to me since Little Man and Dear Hubby love them. I'm making banana bread in the morning, and I've got the ingredients to make my first ever King Cake. Yeah, I know it's not Mardi Gras yet, but it's like a trial run seeing as I've never made one before.

I also used today to make my very first Pioneer Woman (thepioneerwoman.com)recipe! I'm kind of late on the game on making one of her recipes, and I'm kicking myself now that we've enjoyed such a good dinner. Why didn't I try her sooner!

I chose this recipe because it's made with cube steak. Yes, I know I just watched Food Inc. last weekend, but I was careful with my meat selection. I paid a bit more for the meat, but the total cost of this recipe for the four of us was less than $10.

You can find the full recipe for this delish sandwich at thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/marlboro_mans_f/.

So, I set about slicing onions and sweating them in butter. Yes, butter. Not in Paula Deen quantities, but close.



While the onions were cooking, I set about emptying the dishwasher.



After I finished that little task, I cut up the meat and seasoned it with Lowry's.



I cooked the meat as described in the recipe, but I had a problem with it being too watery in the pan. It didn't get quite as brown as I'd have liked. I drained the meat, but in retrospect, I shouldn't have drained as much as I did as I didn't have as much gravy as The Pioneer Woman did in her pictures.

But here's the finished product:




I didn't add any cheese, and it was absolutely fine. But I think you could easily add some provelone or similar cheese with good results. The Pioneer Woman indicates that you can tweak this to your taste, but we like it the way it is!

1 comment:

Laura said...

You've been blogging since 2009?? Girl, what else have you been up to?

I have PW on my favorites and visit her site almost daily. I know you are partial to Paula's cinnamon rolls, but give PW's a whirl sometime. I tried them out last Christmas and while I don't think they turned out like hers, they were good enough for my first try at homemade c. rolls.
Enjoy the snow!