Friday, September 11, 2009

Making clothes

I like to shop. No, scratch that, I LOVE to shop. And I really like shopping for kids clothing! The downside - the price. Little Man's pretty much outgrown the good stuff at consignment sales, and he wears a husky size pant, so I almost always buy new for him now. E Belle is another story - I can't stop buying for her! But this season, I've only bought new if I have had a coupon, and I've managed to pick up a few cute used items along the way. Yet E Belle has managed to be short on dresses.

Last year, I bought several Chez Ami dresses. Once I got them, I noticed that they had a handmade feel to them. Not that that's bad - it's not! But it got me thinking, maybe I could do that?

So, I've learned to sew. I've made a few household items, and now I've moved on to clothes. I'm on PJ bottom pair #3. Next project - a minky dot swing dress for E Belle!! There's one very similar to it on the Chez Ami website for $60. My price today at Joann for the fabric, pattern, extra needles, interfacing and string - $28. Not a real cheap-o deal, but way cheaper than the boutique version!

I'll get some pictures going once the projects are completed.

No comments: